Denise Phillips is the UK's leading Jewish cookery writer (and an active member of our synagogue!). Her are a few of her favourite recipes For information on her popular cookery classes or more recipes, see her website at www.jewishcookery.com
Chicken Roulade Stuffed With Apricots, Carrots and Lemon
An exciting colourful chicken breast recipe! This recipe works well if prepared in advance and looks impressive on the plate. Garnish with baby spinach, carrot ribbons and lemon – all the filling ingredients.
Suitable for Pesach
Serves: 6 people Freezing: Yes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes Ingredients
6 large chicken breasts
50g dried apricots
2- 3 carrots- 150g – peeled and roughly chopped
Zest and juice 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic – peeled
50g toasted slivered almonds
100g baby spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roasting Vegetables: 2 red and 2 yellow peppers, 2 courgettes and 2 red onions
2 tablespoons olive oil, Salt and pepper Method
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400 F/ Gas mark 6.
2) Lay the chicken breasts, spaced apart on a work surface covered with cling film. Cover with more cling film, then using a rolling pin, gently flatten.
3) Place all the stuffing ingredients in the food processor and gently pulse together to form a chunky pate.
4) Spread this pate evenly over the chicken breasts, then roll up starting at the narrow end to enclose the filling securing with string. Cover with baking parchment and then foil.
5) Chop roasting vegetables into large chunks and place in roasting tin lined with baking parchment paper. Season and drizzle over olive oil.
6) Sit chicken parcels on top of the vegetables and bake for 30 minutes.
7) Rest chicken roulades for 5 minutes before removing the foil and paper.
8) Slice diagonally into 1 cm pieces.
To serve: Arrange and garnish the chicken fanned on a plate with the roasted vegetables.